Shopping in Budapest
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
You'll find plenty of expensive boutiques, folk-art and souvenir shops, foreign-language bookstores, and classical-record shops on or around touristy Váci utca, Budapest's famous, upscale, pedestrian-only promenade.
While a stroll along Váci utca is integral to a Budapest visit, browsing among some of the smaller, less touristy, more typically Hungarian shops in Pest—on the Kis körút (Small Ring Road) and Nagy körút (Great Ring Road)—may prove more interesting and less pricey.
Falk Miksa utca, in the fifth district, running south from Szent István körút, is one of the city's best antiques districts, lined on both sides with atmospheric little shops and galleries.
Hungary is famous for its age-old Herend porcelain, which is hand-painted in the village of Herend near Lake Balaton. Hungarian and Czech crystal is considerably less expensive here than in the United States.
Handmade articles, such as embroidered tablecloths and painted plates, are sold all over the city by Transylvanian women wearing traditional scarves and colorful skirts. You can usually find them standing at Moszkva tér, Jászai Mari tér, outside the Kossuth tér metro, around Váci utca, and in the larger metro stations.
Recordings of Hungarian folk music, or of pieces played by Hungarian artists, are available on compact discs, though cassettes and records are cheaper and are sold throughout the city.
Browse Budapest Shopping
- Department Stores
- Food / Candy
- Gifts / Souvenirs
- Household Items / Furniture
- Jewelry / Accessories
Browse Budapest Shopping By Location
- Andrássy út
- Around Andrássy út
- Around Batthyány tér
- Around Deák Ferenc tér
- Around Deák tér
- Around Déli Train Station
- Around Ferenciek tere
- Around Kálvin tér
- Around Király utca
- Around Liszt Ferenc tér
- Around Moszkva tér
- Around Nyugati Train Station
- Around Váci utca
- Buda Hills
- Castle Hill
- City Park
- Deák Ferenc tér
- Ferenciek tere
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- Budapest on Sale! Flights to Budapest From 515 R/T ASAPTickets.com
- May deal: Boutique Budapest Fr $184+/Nt Save with Expedia, $82/night less
- Budapest Savings! Book at Carat Boutique Fr $150+/Nt Save with Expedia, $30/night less
- Hot Deal on a 7 Nt Cruise! Avalon Waterways Fr $2,975 Expedia
- Special deal: 3-Star Timon Fr $31+/Nt — $31 Expedia