- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Szépművészeti Múzeum (Museum of Fine Arts)
Szépművészeti Múzeum (Museum of Fine Arts) Review
Across Heroes' Square from the Palace of Exhibitions and built by the same team of Albert Schickedanz and Fülöp Herzog, the Museum of Fine Arts houses Hungary's best art collection, rich in Flemish and Dutch old masters. With seven fine El Grecos and five beautiful Goyas as well as paintings by Velázquez and Murillo, the collection of Spanish Old Masters is probably the best outside Spain.
The Italian school is represented by Giorgione, Bellini, Correggio, Tintoretto, and Titian masterpieces and, above all, two superb Raphael paintings: The Eszterházy Madonna and his immortal Portrait of a Youth, rescued after a world-famous art heist.
Nineteenth-century French art includes works by Delacroix, Pissarro, Cézanne, Toulouse-Lautrec, Gauguin, Renoir, and Monet. There are also more than 100,000 drawings (including five by Rembrandt and three studies by Leonardo), and Egyptian and Greco-Roman exhibitions. A 20th-century collection was added to the museum's permanent exhibits in 1994, comprising an interesting series of statues, paintings, and drawings by Chagall, Le Corbusier, and others. The special exhibits are outstanding and frequent. Labels are in both Hungarian and English; there's also an English-language booklet for sale about the permanent collection.
- Address: District XIV, Hősök tere, Around Andrássy út, Budapest
- Phone: 1/469–7100; 1/363–4654
- Cost: Museum: 1,600. Museum and special exhibitions: 2,200–3,400 HUF
- Hours: Tues.–Wed. and Fri.–Sun. 10–5, Thurs.10–10
- Website: www.szepmuveszeti.hu
- Metro M1: Hősök tere.
- Location: Around Andrássy út
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
Spring seems to have arrived early here in Central Europe, and as ex-pats in a rented house we are blissfully free from most of the usual weekend chores that kept us home in the U.S. So, no better time Read more
I want to share with the community information and my experience of my trip to Hungary ( from 31 January to 3 February 2014 )
I visited: Budapest - Eger - Szentendre
To see my photo gallery click on the Read more
My sister and I have 16 nights/15 days planned in Central Europe this upcoming May/June. Read more
· News & Features
Premium economy is the budding class of the airline world, but deciding on a carrier (and whether it’s ... Read more
San Juan's balmy temperatures, gorgeous beaches, and charming, historic buildings make it the perfec... Read more
Keep an open mind and a flexible schedule on your next getaway.... Read more