- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Szépművészeti Múzeum (Museum of Fine Arts)
Szépművészeti Múzeum (Museum of Fine Arts) Review
Across Heroes' Square from the Palace of Exhibitions and built by the same team of Albert Schickedanz and Fülöp Herzog, the Museum of Fine Arts houses Hungary's best art collection, rich in Flemish and Dutch old masters. With seven fine El Grecos and five beautiful Goyas as well as paintings by Velázquez and Murillo, the collection of Spanish Old Masters is probably the best outside Spain.
The Italian school is represented by Giorgione, Bellini, Correggio, Tintoretto, and Titian masterpieces and, above all, two superb Raphael paintings: The Eszterházy Madonna and his immortal Portrait of a Youth, rescued after a world-famous art heist.
Nineteenth-century French art includes works by Delacroix, Pissarro, Cézanne, Toulouse-Lautrec, Gauguin, Renoir, and Monet. There are also more than 100,000 drawings (including five by Rembrandt and three studies by Leonardo), and Egyptian and Greco-Roman exhibitions. A 20th-century collection was added to the museum's permanent exhibits in 1994, comprising an interesting series of statues, paintings, and drawings by Chagall, Le Corbusier, and others. The special exhibits are outstanding and frequent. Labels are in both Hungarian and English; there's also an English-language booklet for sale about the permanent collection.
- Address: District XIV, Hősök tere, Around Andrássy út, Budapest
- Phone: 1/469–7100; 1/363–4654
- Cost: Museum: 1,600. Museum and special exhibitions: 2,200–3,400 HUF
- Hours: Tues.–Wed. and Fri.–Sun. 10–5, Thurs.10–10
- Website: www.szepmuveszeti.hu
- Metro M1: Hősök tere.
- Location: Around Andrássy út
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
As promised I'm making a start on this overdue TR. Read more
Feeling so guilty, I haven't even started a TR. Read more
Are there any reputable companies that offer Mifi in all these countries as I'll need to stay connected on the road for maps and such. Read more
· News & Features
American Airlines and US Airways formally completed their merger this morning, leaving four major players... Read more
Oceania Cruises has got something unique in store: a world cruise that embarks in the summertime instead... Read more
Whether its Spicy Alligator Fritters or Broiled Lobster Maine Lobster that you're after, Carnival's new... Read more