- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Fodor's Budapest, 2nd Edition
Széchenyi Lánchíd (Chain Bridge)
Széchenyi Lánchíd (Chain Bridge) Review
This is the oldest and most beautiful of the seven road bridges that span the Danube in Budapest. When lit up at night, it captures Budapest's radiance as do few other scenes. Before it was built, the river could be crossed only by ferry or by a pontoon bridge that had to be removed when ice blocks began floating downstream in winter. It was constructed at the initiative of the great Hungarian reformer and philanthropist Count István Széchenyi, using an 1839 design by the English civil engineer William Tierney Clark. This classical, almost poetically graceful and symmetrical suspension bridge was finished by the Scotsman Adam Clark (no relation to William Tierney Clark), who also built the 383-yard tunnel under Castle Hill, thus connecting the Danube quay with the rest of Buda.
After it was destroyed by the Nazis, the bridge was rebuilt in its original form (though widened for traffic) and was reopened in 1949, on the centenary of its inauguration. At the Buda end of the Chain Bridge is Clark Ádám tér (Adam Clark Square), where you can zip up to Castle Hill on the Sikló funicular.
- Address: District I, linking Clark Ádám tér with Roosevelt tér, Around Váci utca, Budapest
- Cost: Funicular 1000 HUF (one-way)
- Hours: Funicular: daily 7:30 am–10 pm
- Metro M2: Batthányi tér or M1, M2, M3: Deák Ferenc tér.
- Location: Around Váci utca
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
I want to share with the community information and my experience of my trip to Hungary ( from 31 January to 3 February 2014 )
I visited: Budapest - Eger - Szentendre
To see my photo gallery click on the Read more
In the Easter holidays in 2013 we decided to go on a road trip in Europe, and picked out some countries. Read more
You guys were very helpful while planning, and during, our last trip (7 weeks to Turkey and Greece last spring), so I'd like your thoughts and suggestions while planning our next trip.
We're planning Read more
· News & Features
After the recent debut of his Grand Cayman-inspired novel The Forever Girl, author Alexander McCall ... Read more
When's the best time to go?... Read more
The world's northernmost capital is a charming destination in all seasons.... Read more