- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Fodor's Budapest, 2nd Edition
Mátyás templom (Matthias Church)
Mátyás templom (Matthias Church) Review
The ornate white (er, sooty white) steeple of the Matthias Church is the highest point on Castle Hill. It was added in the 15th century, above a 13th-century Gothic chapel. Officially the Buda Church of Our Lady, it has been known as the Matthias Church since the 15th century, in remembrance of the so-called "just king" who greatly added to and embellished it during his reign. Many of these changes were lost when the Turks converted it into a mosque. The intricate white stonework, mosaic roof decorations, and some of its geometric patterned columns seem to suggest Byzantium, yet it was substantially rebuilt again in the neo-baroque style 87 years after the Turkish defeat in 1686. One fortunate survivor of all the changes was perhaps the finest example of Gothic stone carving in Hungary, the Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary, visible above the door on the side of the church that faces the Danube.
The Szentháromság Kápolna (Trinity Chapel) holds an encolpion, an enameled casket containing a miniature copy of the Gospel to be worn on the chest; it belonged to the 12th-century king Béla III and his wife, Anne of Chatillon. Their burial crowns and a cross, scepter, and rings found in their excavated graves are also displayed here. The church's treasury contains Renaissance and baroque chalices, monstrances, and vestments. High Mass is celebrated every Sunday at 10 am, sometimes with full orchestra and choir—and often with major soloists; get here early if you want a seat. During the summer there are usually organ recitals on Sunday at 7:30 pm.
- Address: District I, Szentháromság tér 2, Castle Hill, Budapest | Map It
- Phone: 1/355–5657
- Cost: Church: free. Treasury and guided tour: 990 HUF
- Hours: Church: weekdays 9–5, Sat. 9– 1, Sun. 1–5. Treasury: daily 9–5
- Website: www.matyas-templom.hu
- Metro Várbusz (4th stop from M2: Széll Kálmán tér).
- Location: Várhegy (Castle Hill)
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
I want to share with the community information and my experience of my trip to Hungary ( from 31 January to 3 February 2014 )
I visited: Budapest - Eger - Szentendre
To see my photo gallery click on the Read more
In the Easter holidays in 2013 we decided to go on a road trip in Europe, and picked out some countries. Read more
My sister and I are going to Berlin and Budapest from 3/21 to 3/30. Read more
· News & Features
Techie travelers have embraced the fun, tech-driven, on-the-road adventure that is geocaching. ... Read more
This week, we covered top destinations for great family getaways—from Disney World to dinosaur spotting.... Read more
Go on location in Görlitz, Germany, to the transporting set of director Wes Anderson's film... Read more