- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
II. János Pál pápa tér (Pope John Paul II Square)
II. János Pál pápa tér (Pope John Paul II Square) Review
Following a massive city make-over campaign and attempt to wipe out all the remaining markers of Communism on everyday Budapest life, the mayor has decided to rename a variety of streets and squares (including creating a Elvis Presley Square and renaming the airport, which is now called Franz Liszt International Airport). Hence, what was once known as Köztársaság tér (Square of the Republic) is now II. János Pál pápa tér, in honor of Pope John Paul II and his contribution to ending the Cold War.
Surrounded by an extraordinary mix of faceless concrete monstrosities and lovely old buildings, the vast square has a serene, somewhat shaded park at its center. Its 20th-century historical significance stems from the fact that it was where the Communist Party of Budapest had its headquarters (today the Socialist Party offices), and saw heavy fighting in 1956. Here also is the city's second opera house, and Budapest's largest, the Erkel Ferenc színház (Ferenc Erkel Theater).
- Address: District VIII, between Luther utca and Berzeriyi utca, Around Keleti Train Station, Budapest
- Metro M2: Blaha Lujza tér or Keleti Train Station.
- Location: Around Keleti Train Station
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
I recently got back from a wonderful trip to Budapest, with overnight layovers in London coming and going. Read more
Spring seems to have arrived early here in Central Europe, and as ex-pats in a rented house we are blissfully free from most of the usual weekend chores that kept us home in the U.S. So, no better time Read more
Hi, there. Read more
· News & Features
Stunning beaches, tantalizing food, and veritable vino—we're all about epicurean excellence ... Read more
A history of Moleskine notebooks and a blog for safari lovers are among the things we've been reading... Read more
Nassau is an easily accessible, fun-packed destination for adults and kids alike.... Read more