- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
II. János Pál pápa tér (Pope John Paul II Square)
II. János Pál pápa tér (Pope John Paul II Square) Review
Following a massive city make-over campaign and attempt to wipe out all the remaining markers of Communism on everyday Budapest life, the mayor has decided to rename a variety of streets and squares (including creating a Elvis Presley Square and renaming the airport, which is now called Franz Liszt International Airport). Hence, what was once known as Köztársaság tér (Square of the Republic) is now II. János Pál pápa tér, in honor of Pope John Paul II and his contribution to ending the Cold War.
Surrounded by an extraordinary mix of faceless concrete monstrosities and lovely old buildings, the vast square has a serene, somewhat shaded park at its center. Its 20th-century historical significance stems from the fact that it was where the Communist Party of Budapest had its headquarters (today the Socialist Party offices), and saw heavy fighting in 1956. Here also is the city's second opera house, and Budapest's largest, the Erkel Ferenc színház (Ferenc Erkel Theater).
- Address: District VIII, between Luther utca and Berzeriyi utca, Around Keleti Train Station, Budapest
- Metro M2: Blaha Lujza tér or Keleti Train Station.
- Location: Around Keleti Train Station
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
As promised I'm making a start on this overdue TR. Read more
Feeling so guilty, I haven't even started a TR. Read more
Are there any reputable companies that offer Mifi in all these countries as I'll need to stay connected on the road for maps and such. Read more
· News & Features
American Airlines and US Airways formally completed their merger this morning, leaving four major players... Read more
Oceania Cruises has got something unique in store: a world cruise that embarks in the summertime instead... Read more
Whether its Spicy Alligator Fritters or Broiled Lobster Maine Lobster that you're after, Carnival's new... Read more