- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Fodor's Budapest, 2nd Edition
II. János Pál pápa tér (Pope John Paul II Square)
II. János Pál pápa tér (Pope John Paul II Square) Review
Following a massive city make-over campaign and attempt to wipe out all the remaining markers of Communism on everyday Budapest life, the mayor has decided to rename a variety of streets and squares (including creating a Elvis Presley Square and renaming the airport, which is now called Franz Liszt International Airport). Hence, what was once known as Köztársaság tér (Square of the Republic) is now II. János Pál pápa tér, in honor of Pope John Paul II and his contribution to ending the Cold War.
Surrounded by an extraordinary mix of faceless concrete monstrosities and lovely old buildings, the vast square has a serene, somewhat shaded park at its center. Its 20th-century historical significance stems from the fact that it was where the Communist Party of Budapest had its headquarters (today the Socialist Party offices), and saw heavy fighting in 1956. Here also is the city's second opera house, and Budapest's largest, the Erkel Ferenc színház (Ferenc Erkel Theater).
- Address: District VIII, between Luther utca and Berzeriyi utca, Around Keleti Train Station, Budapest
- Metro M2: Blaha Lujza tér or Keleti Train Station.
- Location: Around Keleti Train Station
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
I want to share with the community information and my experience of my trip to Hungary ( from 31 January to 3 February 2014 )
I visited: Budapest - Eger - Szentendre
To see my photo gallery click on the Read more
In the Easter holidays in 2013 we decided to go on a road trip in Europe, and picked out some countries. Read more
You guys were very helpful while planning, and during, our last trip (7 weeks to Turkey and Greece last spring), so I'd like your thoughts and suggestions while planning our next trip.
We're planning Read more
· News & Features
After the recent debut of his Grand Cayman-inspired novel The Forever Girl, author Alexander McCall ... Read more
When's the best time to go?... Read more
The world's northernmost capital is a charming destination in all seasons.... Read more