- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
At a Glance
- truly unique setting and building, super-low rates
- out of the way, bathroom situation and lack of amenities will be a turn off to some, breakfast is available but not included
Hotel Citadella Review
Housed within the historical Citadella fort that crowns Gellért Hill, this hotel and hostel combination is geared to low-maintenance, budget-minded travelers who don't mind an uphill hike at the end of their sightseeing day. Its origins as an army barracks come through loud and clear: windows are small, and half the rooms share a bathroom. But the vaulted stone ceilings and marvelous views from many of the rooms make it unique in Budapest. Of the 12 rooms with private bath, two have a tub, the rest simple showers. Finding your way here is a challenge as there are no signs. Your best bet is to walk under an archway that leads to the Panoráma Múzeumok (Panorama Museums).
- Address: District XI, Citadella sétány, Gellért Hill, Budapest, H--1118 | Map It
- Phone: 1/466-5794
- Website: www.citadella.hu
- Metro Bus 27 to Szirtes út.
- Location: Gellért Hill
- 12 private rooms (two--four beds each), 1 14-bed hostel room.
- Rate includes breakfast.
- No credit cards.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- Budapest on Sale! Flights to Budapest From 515 R/T ASAPTickets.com
- Mamaison Residence Izabella Budapest in May: $203 & Up Expedia
- Visit Budapest for Less: Hotels Fr $166+/Nt Travelocity
- See Budapest with Avalon Waterways, 7 Nts Fr $2,675 Expedia
- Save in Budapest: Book 3 Nts in May Fr $74+/Nt — $74 Save with Expedia, $20/night less
My husband and I are at the tail end of our 6-week trip, and he has been writing a travel blog. I thought I would post that here, and also the links to the pictures that go with each. Read more
We did a 2 weeks trip to eastern europe over the christmas period 2 years ago. Read more
Was wondering if anyone has any personal experience with the Hilton Hotel's in Vienna and/or Budapest? Read more
· News & Features
The Swiss city of Basel is getting ready to host to the who's who of the art world yet again, with the... Read more
Do you suffer from Vacation Deprivation?... Read more
Steinbeck said it well—no matter how many plans you make, its the destination that scoops you up... Read more