- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
This complex comprises the reconstructed remains of a Roman settlement dating from the first century AD and the capital of the Roman province of Pannonia. Careful excavations have unearthed a varied selection of artifacts and mosaics, providing a tantalizing inkling of what life was like in the provinces of the Roman Empire. A gymnasium and a central heating system have been unearthed, along with the ruins of two baths and a shrine to Mithras, the Persian god of light, truth, and the sun. The Aquincum múzeum (Aquincum Museum) displays the dig's most notable finds: ceramics; a red-marble sarcophagus showing a triton and flying Eros on one side and on the other, Telesphorus, the angel of death, depicted as a hooded dwarf; and jewelry from a Roman lady's tomb.
Hercules Villa. Near the main Aquincum ruins—but functioning as a separate museum—a fine third-century Roman dwelling, Hercules Villa, takes its name from the myth depicted on its beautiful mosaic floor. The ruin was unearthed between 1958 and 1967 and is now only open by request (inquire at the Aquincum Museum). You can only visit the villa on guided tours, which are available in English, Hungarian, German, and French. District III, Meggyfa utca 19–21. www.aquincum.hu. Tours 6,000 HUF total for 10–25 people; 8,000 HUF total for more than 25 people.
- Address: District III, Szentendrei út 139, Óbuda, Budapest | Map It
- Phone: 1/250–1650
- Cost: Museum: 850 HUF early Nov.–mid April; 1,300 HUF mid April–late Oct.
- Hours: Museum: mid–late Apr. and October, Tues.–Sun. 10–5; May–Sept., Tues.–Sun. 10–6; Nov.–mid-April 10–4. Grounds: open an hour earlier than museum.
- Location: Óbuda
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
Spring seems to have arrived early here in Central Europe, and as ex-pats in a rented house we are blissfully free from most of the usual weekend chores that kept us home in the U.S. So, no better time Read more
I want to share with the community information and my experience of my trip to Hungary ( from 31 January to 3 February 2014 )
I visited: Budapest - Eger - Szentendre
To see my photo gallery click on the Read more
My sister and I have 16 nights/15 days planned in Central Europe this upcoming May/June. Read more
· News & Features
Premium economy is the budding class of the airline world, but deciding on a carrier (and whether it’s ... Read more
San Juan's balmy temperatures, gorgeous beaches, and charming, historic buildings make it the perfec... Read more
Keep an open mind and a flexible schedule on your next getaway.... Read more