- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
This complex comprises the reconstructed remains of a Roman settlement dating from the first century AD and the capital of the Roman province of Pannonia. Careful excavations have unearthed a varied selection of artifacts and mosaics, providing a tantalizing inkling of what life was like in the provinces of the Roman Empire. A gymnasium and a central heating system have been unearthed, along with the ruins of two baths and a shrine to Mithras, the Persian god of light, truth, and the sun. The Aquincum múzeum (Aquincum Museum) displays the dig's most notable finds: ceramics; a red-marble sarcophagus showing a triton and flying Eros on one side and on the other, Telesphorus, the angel of death, depicted as a hooded dwarf; and jewelry from a Roman lady's tomb.
Hercules Villa. Near the main Aquincum ruins—but functioning as a separate museum—a fine third-century Roman dwelling, Hercules Villa, takes its name from the myth depicted on its beautiful mosaic floor. The ruin was unearthed between 1958 and 1967 and is now only open by request (inquire at the Aquincum Museum). You can only visit the villa on guided tours, which are available in English, Hungarian, German, and French. District III, Meggyfa utca 19–21. www.aquincum.hu. Tours 6,000 HUF total for 10–25 people; 8,000 HUF total for more than 25 people.
- Address: District III, Szentendrei út 139, Óbuda, Budapest | Map It
- Phone: 1/250–1650
- Cost: Museum: 850 HUF early Nov.–mid April; 1,300 HUF mid April–late Oct.
- Hours: Museum: mid–late Apr. and October, Tues.–Sun. 10–5; May–Sept., Tues.–Sun. 10–6; Nov.–mid-April 10–4. Grounds: open an hour earlier than museum.
- Location: Óbuda
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
As promised I'm making a start on this overdue TR. Read more
Feeling so guilty, I haven't even started a TR. Read more
I'll be taking a solo 6 day trip in March from Budapest (2 nights), Vienna via Bratislava (2 nights) and Munich (2 nights). Read more
· News & Features
Even while reveling in holiday festivities, it's easy to be overtaken by the stress of finding perfec ... Read more
Author Wes Davis, a former excavations assistant at Kavousi in Eastern Crete, recounts his archaeological... Read more
Cruisers with a taste for dancing take note—you can compete aboard Holland America sailings to wi... Read more