- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Fodor's Budapest, 2nd Edition
Időkerék (Time Wheel)
Időkerék (Time Wheel) Review
Against a lovely backdrop of tall plane trees and spruces at the edge of City Park just off Felvonulás tér—a huge parking lot along Dózsa György út that in decades past was used for communist rallies—is the world's largest hourglass. Aimed more at portraying time rather than measuring it, the Time Wheel is made of granite, stainless steel, and glass that allows you to watch (or imagine) a fine trickle of sand flow from top to bottom, it is 8 meters (26 feet) in diameter and weighs a whopping 60 tons. Once a year, on December 31, the top chamber empties out, and then the wheel is turned a half-circle along the track it is set in, always the same way, so the upper and lower chambers switch places, and the sand begins flowing once again.
- Address: District XIV, Városliget, Városliget, Budapest
- Metro M1: Hősök tere.
- Location: Around Andrássy út
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
I want to share with the community information and my experience of my trip to Hungary ( from 31 January to 3 February 2014 )
I visited: Budapest - Eger - Szentendre
To see my photo gallery click on the Read more
In the Easter holidays in 2013 we decided to go on a road trip in Europe, and picked out some countries. Read more
You guys were very helpful while planning, and during, our last trip (7 weeks to Turkey and Greece last spring), so I'd like your thoughts and suggestions while planning our next trip.
We're planning Read more
· News & Features
After the recent debut of his Grand Cayman-inspired novel The Forever Girl, author Alexander McCall ... Read more
When's the best time to go?... Read more
The world's northernmost capital is a charming destination in all seasons.... Read more