- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Halászbástya (Fishermen's Bastion)
Halászbástya (Fishermen's Bastion) Review
The wondrous porch overlooking the Danube and Pest is the neo-Romanesque Fishermen's Bastion, a merry cluster of white stone towers, arches, and columns above a modern bronze statue of St. Stephen, Hungary's first king. Although you must pay to wander over most of it during the day over much of the year (as has been the practice since 2000), the price is reasonable. Medieval fishwives once peddled their wares here, but now you see merchants selling souvenirs and crafts, musicians, and—less visible but always present—pickpockets. Buy your tickets at the tiny office beside the Tourinform by the adjacent park.
- Address: District I, East of Szentháromság tér, Castle Hill, Budapest
- Cost: 330 HUF Mar.--mid Oct; free Nov.--Feb.
- Hours: Daily 24 hrs
- Metro Várbusz (4th stop from M2: Széll Kálmán tér).
- Location: Várhegy (Castle Hill)
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- Budapest on Sale! Flights to Budapest From 515 R/T ASAPTickets.com
- Small budget: Stay in Budapest this May Fr $60+/Nt Expedia
- Save at 4-Star Mercure Budapest Metropol: $83 & Up in May Save with Expedia, $21/night less
- Hot Deal on a 7 Nt Cruise! Uniworld Boutique Cruises Fr $2,439 Expedia
- Courtyard by Marriott Budapest City Center in May: $171 & Up — $171 Save with Expedia, $14/night less
My husband and I are at the tail end of our 6-week trip, and he has been writing a travel blog. I thought I would post that here, and also the links to the pictures that go with each. Read more
We did a 2 weeks trip to eastern europe over the christmas period 2 years ago. Read more
Was wondering if anyone has any personal experience with the Hilton Hotel's in Vienna and/or Budapest? Read more
· News & Features
The Swiss city of Basel is getting ready to host to the who's who of the art world yet again, with the... Read more
Do you suffer from Vacation Deprivation?... Read more
Steinbeck said it well—no matter how many plans you make, its the destination that scoops you up... Read more