The name Chalkeon comes from the word for copper, and the beautiful "Virgin of the Copper Workers" stands in what is still the traditional copper-working area of Thessaloniki. Completed in 1028, this is one of the oldest churches in the city displaying the domed cruciform style and is filled with ceramic ornaments and glowing mosaics. Artisans and workers frequently drop by during the day to light a candle to this patron of physical laborers. Inside the sunken walls
is a pretty and well-tended garden. The area around Panagia Chalkeon has many shops selling traditional copper crafts at low prices.
Corner of Egnatia and Aristotelous streets, Thessaloniki, Greece