Thessaloniki and Central Macedonia Feature
- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Top Reasons to Go to Thessaloniki and Central Macedonia
Mt. Olympus: Bask in a gods'-eye view from the top of Greece's highest peak, often covered in clouds and lighting as if to prove Zeus still holds sway—ascend skyward thanks to numerous enchanting trails.
Thrilling Thessaloniki: In this great commercial hub, the Armani suits and €5 coffees provide a startling contrast to the ruins of the ancient city walls, Byzantine monuments, and the spirited bartering of the city's bazaar.
Between Heaven and Earth: Mt. Athos, pinpointed with monasteries, is Greece's most solemn precinct; off-limits to women, it is an exclusive bastion as well.
Alexander the Great Sites: The fabled ancient ruler made this region the crossroads of the ancient world—walk in his footsteps in Pella (his birthplace), and Vergina (home to the royal tomb of his father, Phillip II).
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe