The island's best-known and most beautiful monastery, Evangelistria, sits on Skiathos's highest point and was dedicated in the late 18th century to the Annunciation of the Virgin by the monks of Mt. Athos. It encouraged education and gave a base to revolutionaries, who pledged an oath to freedom and first hoisted the flag of Greece here in 1807. Looming above a gorge, and surrounded by fragrant pines and cypresses, the monastery has a high wall that once kept pirates out; today it encloses a ruined refectory kitchen, the cells, a small museum library, and a magnificent church with three domes. A gift shop sells the monastery's own Alypiakos wine, olive oil, locally-made preserves, and Orthodox icons. It's near to Lalaria, and about a 10-minute drive, or an hour's walk, from Skiathos town.
2 km (1 mi) south of Lalaria, 5 km (3 mi) north of Skiathos town, Lalaria, Skiathos, 37002, Greece