If what you are looking for is the ideal combination of a scenic landscape with facilities like water sports, nice refreshments and light meals, and sunbeds and umbrellas, then the world-renowned, picture perfect beach of Koukounaries is the place for you. Some call it "Golden Coast," after its fine, sparkling golden sand, but in high season, when boatloads of tourists land there you'll be lucky to find a free patch to sit on. This beautiful beach owes its name to the interesting surrounding forest of umbrella pines, which are almost watered by the waves. Enjoy a leisurely stroll behind the beach to Strofilia Lake, an impressive biotope where rare species of birds find shelter.
- Address: 4 km [2½ mi] northwest of Troullos, 12 km [8 mi] west of Skiathos town, Troullos, Skiathos, 37002
- Location: Troullos
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's