The Northern Aegean Islands Feature
- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Top Reasons to Go to The Northern Aegean Islands
Samos Block Party: Pythagoras, Epicurus, and the fabulous Aesop were just a few of this island's brightest stars, and their spirits probably still haunt the ancient Heraion temple.
Mesmerizing Mastic Villages: Pirgi in Chios is known for the resin it produces, but with its Genoese houses patterned in black and white, it's the Escher-like landscape that's likely to stick with you.
Sappho's Island: If it's beauty you seek, head to one of Lesbos's oldest towns, Molyvos—a haven for artists and an aesthete's dream.
Sailing to Byzantium: Colorful Byzantine mosaics make Chios's 11th-century Nea Moni monastery an important piece of history—and a marvel to behold.
Dizzyingly Good Ouzo: Though you can get this potent potable anywhere in Greece, Lesbos's is reputedly the best—enjoy it with famed salt-baked Kalloni sardines.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe