- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Buses leave from the main station in central Fira (Deorgala 22890/25404) just south of the town's main square. In high season, there are hourly buses for Akrotiri and buses on the half-hour for Ia, Monolithos (airport), Kamari, and Perissa. Buses also connect with the main port of Athinios (at least a half-hour ride) as well as the popular Perissa and Kamari beaches. Schedules are posted; hotel concierges should also have this info. Fares run from €1.50 to €4. As might be expected, Santorini's buses can be as crowded as those of rush-hour Athens, so step lively! The main taxi station (22860/22555) is near Fira's central square on 25th of March Street. Connecting Fira with the harbor port of Fira Skala is the island's famed cable-car route; there are departures every 20 minutes, 7 am to 10 pm; €4, plus extra charge for luggage. With its spectacular vistas, this is a must-do (a must-don't are the donkey treks up the cliff), even if you're not using the port facilities.
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's