- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
The "Valley of the Butterflies," Petaloudes, lives up to its name, especially in July and August. In summer the callimorpha quadripunctaria, actually a moth species, cluster by the thousands around the low bushes of the pungent storax plant, which grows all over the area. Through the years the numbers have diminished, partly owing to busloads of tourists clapping hands to see them fly up in dense clouds—an antic that causes the moths to deplete their scant energy reserves and is strongly discouraged. Access to the valley involves an easy walk up an idyllic yet crowded trail through a pretty wood past a stream and ponds.
- Address: Turn off coastal road south and follow signs leading to the site with its own parking lot, Rhodes 85104
- Phone: 22410/81801
- Cost: €4
- Hours: Late Apr.–Oct., daily 8–7
- Location: Petaloudes and Ialyssos
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
My film "I Follow Apollo” presents the highlights of Greece, including Athens, Olympia, Meteora, Sparta, the Byzantine Empire, and a cruise to the islands of Mykonos, Santorini, Crete, & Rhodes, Read more
Greek Islands in November on Constelation, weather great, should have been memorable for good things.
After sailing on Infiniti last year and really enjoying it we booked this cruise, would have though Read more
· News & Features
Ask around and most people will tell you to spend as short a layover as possible in Athens before booking ... Read more
With the Aegean Sea as its backdrop, Greece serves a heavy hand of magical Mediterranean living.... Read more
A week in the Greek isles?... Read more