- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Skala, the island's small but sophisticated main town, is where almost all the hotels and restaurants are located. It's a popular port of call for cruise ships, and in summer the huge liners often loom over the shops and restaurants. There's not much to see in the town, but it is lively and very attractive. Most of the town center is closed to cars and, since strict building codes have been enforced, even new buildings have traditional architectural detail. The medieval town of Chora and the island's legendary monasteries loom above Skala on a nearby hill. Take a 20-minute hike up to Kastelli, on a hill overlooking Skala, to see the stone remains of the city's 6th- to 4th-century BC town and acropolis.
Skala at a Glance
Elsewhere in Patmos
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's