- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Nafplion is the major city in the east of the region, on the gulf of Argos, about 150 km (90 mi) south of Athens. Traveling by train from Athens is a popular magic-carpet ride to the northern Peloponnese. The easiest way to get around the often-rural Peloponnese is by car, however, on the region's well-maintained and well-marked roads.
It's easy to get to most places in the Peloponnese via the E65, a north-south highway that cuts through the region and is four lanes for much of its length, connecting Corinth, Tripoli, and Sparta with Athens.
Happily, the association of regional bus companies (KTEL) provides frequent service from Athens to Patras, Olympia, Corinth, Epidauros, Nafplion, Sparta, and Monemvassia, plus many villages.
From Nafplion, an excellent base for exploring the region, you can reach Epidauros, Tiryns, Mycenae, and Argos. Patras is in the west, near the Rion bridge for easy connections to central Greece and ferries to Italy.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe