- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
At least seven buses a day connect Athens and Sparta, a trip of about five hours that costs about €18 each way. Buses leave from Stathmos Peloponnisou(Terminal A) station on the outskirts of Athens, located at 100 Kissafou (210/623886; takeBus 51 at corner of Zinonos and Menandrou streets, near Omonia Square; from the airport, take Bus E93).
From Sparta's bus station (27310/26441), located downtown at the junction of Lykourgou and Dafnou, you can catch one of six daily buses to Monemvassia (about two hours, €5) and also continue on to the Mani region (service several times a day to Gythion and Aeropolis) and other places in the southern Peloponnese.
By car, follow the toll highway south from Athens through Corinth and Tripoli. At Tripoli the four-lane toll road ends and the route continues on well-surfaced two- and three-lane roads, though ongoing construction will one day extend the four-lane toll road to Sparta. The trip from Athens takes about four to five hours of reasonable driving.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe