The oldest church in Kalamata is the small 13th-century Ayii Apostoli ("Holy Apostles"), dedicated to the Virgin of Kalamata ("of the good eye"), from whom the town may get its name. This is one of Greece's double churches, with two naves—one for the Roman Catholics and one for the Orthodox—that resulted from 13th- and 14th-century ecumenical efforts. The Greek War of Independence was formally declared here on March 23, 1821, when Theodoros Kolokotronis captured Kalamata
from the Turks.
Martiou 25 Sq., Kalamata, 24100, Greece