- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Leave your car at the entrance of this stone village stunningly set amid the Arcadian mountains and stroll the maze of narrow cobbled lanes. Should you need to add some ancient history to your enjoyment of this romantic place, be advised that archaeologists found ruins of a cyclopean wall (irregular stones without mortar) and classical buildings near the town; the ruins belonged to the acropolis of Teuthis, an ancient city.
E2 hiking path. The E2 hiking path, part of the European trail system, passes through Dimitsana. You can follow the path south along the gorge of the River Lousios or east into the surrounding mountains. The trek south brings you to several small monasteries tucked into the walls of the gorge and the scanty ruins of the ancient city of Gortys. Dimitsana.
Dimitsana at a Glance
Elsewhere in Peloponnese
- Ancient Corinth
- Ancient Messene
- Ancient Nemea
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe