- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Local buses within the regions are usually on time, clean, air-conditioned, and cheap to travel in.
Since most of the distances between towns are quite considerable, taxis are on the expensive side.
A rented car is by far the best way to explore the region, and one is essential to go beyond the main sights.
Driving to Kalambaka or Ioannina from Athens takes the greater part of a day.
The road from Ioannina to Metsovo to Kalambaka is one of the most scenic in northern Greece.
However, it traverses the famous Katara pass, which is curvy and possibly hazardous.
This is especially the case December through March (snow chains are necessary).
To reach Ioannina by car take the National Road west past Corinth in the Peloponnese, crossing the magnificent Rion-Antirion bridge.
For Kalambaka, take the National Road north past Thebes; north of Lamia there's a turnoff for Trikala and Kalambaka.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe