When to Go
- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
When to Go
Ioannina is easy to visit year-round, but excursions to the countryside are best May through October, when most places are open.
Winter is great for skiing and curling up by the fire, although spring, when the abundant and broadly variable natural surroundings blossom, is captivating.
Metsovo can be blissfully cool even in high summer (especially at night), which helps make the town panagyri (saint's day festival) for Ayia Paraskevi, held July 26, quite pleasant, but the heat is oppressive elsewhere in this region at this time.
The Meteora monasteries attract considerably fewer people in winter, but keep in mind the Thessalian plain can bake in summer in the vast oven formed by the surrounding high mountains.
Maximum enjoyment will be obtained in spring, especially at the Meteora monasteries.
At this point, the mountains are still snow covered and blend harmoniously with the green fields, the red poppies, and the white and pink flowering fruit trees.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe