- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Ayia Barbara (Holy Monastery of Rousanou)
Ayia Barbara (Holy Monastery of Rousanou) Review
On the lowest rock—thought an appropriate tribute to male superiority by the early monks (who first refused to have women in the Meteora)—the compact monastery of Ayia Barbara was the only nunnery in the complex centuries ago. With its colorful gardens in and around red- and gray-stone walls, it is a favorite for picture-taking. Set on a large mesa-like rock, the squat building was abandoned in the early 1900s and stood empty until a new order of nuns moved in some years ago and restored it. The monastery was thought to have been founded in 1288 by the monks Nicodemus and Benedict. The main church has well-preserved frescoes dating from the mid-16th century. Most depict gory scenes of martyrdom, but one shows lions licking Daniel's feet during his imprisonment. The nunnery is accessible via steps and a new bridge.
- Address: Along monastery route, across vertiginous bridges from Ayia Moni area,
- Phone: 24320/22649
- Cost: €2
- Hours: Apr.–Oct., daily 9–6; Nov.–Mar., daily 9–2; closed Wed.
- Location: The Meteora
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
I want to thank those who tried to help me with my search for a Greek island and let you know it wasn’t a waste of time. Read more
My film "I Follow Apollo” presents the highlights of Greece, including Athens, Olympia, Meteora, Sparta, the Byzantine Empire, and a cruise to the islands of Mykonos, Santorini, Crete, & Rhodes, Read more
This summer, we will likely be arriving on Santorini at 3 AM (from the island of Milos), Will it be a problem arriving without any place to stay, or does a late arrival like this one necessitate lining Read more
· News & Features
Ask around and most people will tell you to spend as short a layover as possible in Athens before booking ... Read more
With the Aegean Sea as its backdrop, Greece serves a heavy hand of magical Mediterranean living.... Read more
A week in the Greek isles?... Read more