Old fashioned and no nonsense, this Ioannina landmark serves decent magirefta (dishes precooked in an oven or on the stove). Open from 6 am, it's the place to head to after a long night out on the town. Tripe soup and mageiritsa (sheep's liver and intestine, traditionally eaten at the end of Lent) are some of the rich dishes renowned for their restorative effects post-drinking. There's usually a fish entrée such as grilled kolios (mackerel), bakaliaros (fried cod), or galeos (shark) with skordalia (garlic-potato sauce).
- Address: Neomartiros Georgiou Sq. 4, Ioannina, 45221
- Phone: 26510/73155
- Location: Ioannina
- No credit cards.
- Closed every other Sun.
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's