- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Getting Here and Around
Ioannina Airport. This major airport is located 5 km (3 mi) from the city center. Bus No. 7 runs every 15 minutes between the two. 26510/83600 or 26510/83602.
and Olympic Air. Greece's major carrier offers midday and early evening flights connecting with Athens. 26510/26218 or 210/3550500.
Aegean Airlines offers a one-way ticket for €62–€118; Olympic's prices are €100–115 one way. There is also one daily flight from Thessaloniki to Ioannina (40 min). Direct charter flights from any European capital to Ioannina Airport are also available.
As there is no train service to Ioannina the only way to get there is either by driving or busing it there. Ioannina KTEL bus station (Georgiou Papandreou 4526510/26286) offers routes connecting with Konitsa (2 hrs), Kalampaka, Igoumenitsa (2 hrs 30 min), Athens (6 hrs 30 min), Thessaloniki (7 hrs), and many other towns. From Athens, buses depart Monday–Friday at 6 am, 8, 9:30, 11, 1 pm, 3:30, and onwards until 10:30 at night; weekends, same times except no 6 am; tickets are €35.20. Buses connect with Metsovo, departing Monday–Friday at 6:30 am, 10, 3 pm, 4:30; on Saturday, 3:30 pm and on Sunday, 5:30 pm; tickets are €5.30. Buses connect with Trikala's bus station (24310/73130), a major hub of Thessaly, Monday–Sunday, 8:30 am and 3 pm for a ride that takes 2 hrs 30 min; prices are €13.10. There are no trains to Ioannina.
Boats (26510/81814) depart for Nissi Island in Lake Pamvotis every hour in the winter and every half hour in the summer months. The boats leave from the gate of the Kastro fortress; tickets are €1.80.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe