Epirus and Thessaly Feature
- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Top Reasons to Go to Epirus and Thessaly
Rock Stars: Even more wondrous than the Meteora's soaring rock pinnacles are the medieval monasteries perched atop them—walk, climb, or drive to these still-inhabited spots where eagles once nested.
Zagorohoria Region: Dotting the dramatic Vikos gorge are 46 traditional villages filled with picturesque Ottoman houses—some of the best hiking countryside in all Greece.
Connect with the gods: Visiting the ancient site of Dodona in Epirus is a must: many mystical ceremonies took place in this ancient sanctuary of Zeus.
Experience Metsovo's Traditions: This mountain village has held on hard to its traditional character—discover its stone houses, customary foods, and winding alleyways (each with its own story).
Haunts of Ali Pasha: Even Lord Byron was drawn to Ioannina to trace the haunted spirit of the legendary pasha who once made Epirus his own personal potentate.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe