- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Crete is excellent hiking terrain, and many trails crisscross the mountains and gorges, especially in the southwest. The Greek National Tourism Organization (GNTO or EOT) is a source of information. Alpine Travel. This outfitter offers one-day, one-week, and two-week hiking tours throughout western Crete and makes transportation and accommodation arrangements for individual trekkers as well. Akrotiriou, Pitharia, Hania, Crete, 73100. 28210/50939. www.alpine.gr.
Greek Mountaining Club of Hania. This association operates overnight refuges in the White mountains and on Mt. Ida and operates expeditions into the mountains of western Crete and other wilderness regions. Tzanakaki 90, Hania. 28210/44647. www.eoshanion.gr.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe