- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Olympic Airways connects Athens, and other islands, with Heraklion, Hania, and Siteia.
Aegean Airlines flies between Athens and Heraklion and Hania.
Sky Express flies from Heraklion to cities and islands throughout Greece, providing convenient connections to Rhodes, Mykonos, Kos, Samos, and Thessalonoki and other places that were once quite hard to reach from Crete.
Airfares have risen substantially in the past few years, and summertime flights from Athens to Crete are expensive.
Expect to pay at least twice as much as (if not much, much more than) you would to make the trip by boat.
Fares come down in winter, when special offers are also often available.
The principal arrival point on Crete is Heraklion Airport, where up to 16 flights daily arrive from Athens and daily flights arrive from throughout Greece.
Heraklion is also serviced directly by charter flights from other European cities.
There are several daily flights from Athens to Hania Airport, and several a week from Athens to Siteia, which is also connected to Rhodes with a few weekly flights in summer.
In summer, Hania is also served by flights to and from other European cities, mostly charters.
A municipal bus just outside Heraklion Airport can take you to Eleftherlou Square in the Heraklion town center.
Tickets are sold from a kiosk next to the bus stop; the fare is €1.10.
From Hania Airport, Olympic Airlines buses take you to the airline office in the center for €3.
Cabs line up outside all airports to meet flights; the fare into the respective towns is about €5 for Heraklion, €7 for Hania, and €4 for Siteia.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe