- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Crete is long and narrow, approximately 257 km (159 mi) long and only 60 km (37 mi) at its widest. The most development is present on the north shore; for the most part, the southern coast remains blessedly unspoiled. The island's three major cities, Heraklion, Rethymnon, and Hania, are in the north and are connected by the island's major highway, an east-west route that traverses most of the north coast. Heraklion and Hania are served by ferry from Piraeus, and both have international airports. By car or bus, it's easy to reach other parts of the island from these gateways.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe