- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Cave of Psychro
Cave of Psychro Review
The Cave of Psychro is an impressive, stalactite-rich cavern that was once a Minoan sanctuary and has become a popular tourist attraction on the plateau. This is one of a few places in Crete that are claimed to be the birthplace of Zeus, king of the gods, and where he was reared in secret, out of reach of his vengeful father, Kronos. Approach the cave on a short path from the large parking lot on foot or (a rather uncomfortable and expensive experience) by donkey.
- Address: Near village of Psychro, Crete 72100
- Phone: No phone
- Cost: €5
- Hours: July and Aug., daily 8–7; Sept.–June, daily 8:30–3
- Location: Lasithi Plateau
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
My film "I Follow Apollo” presents the highlights of Greece, including Athens, Olympia, Meteora, Sparta, the Byzantine Empire, and a cruise to the islands of Mykonos, Santorini, Crete, & Rhodes, Read more
Greek Islands in November on Constelation, weather great, should have been memorable for good things.
After sailing on Infiniti last year and really enjoying it we booked this cruise, would have though Read more
Thanks in advance for all your help.
I'm turning 40 in a few weeks and decided I want to head to Europe for two or three weeks. I've been to Turkey, Bulgaria, UK, France. I want to explore some new areas. Read more
· News & Features
Ask around and most people will tell you to spend as short a layover as possible in Athens before booking ... Read more
With the Aegean Sea as its backdrop, Greece serves a heavy hand of magical Mediterranean living.... Read more
A week in the Greek isles?... Read more