"The Lions," a stately marble Renaissance fountain, remains a beloved town landmark. It's the heart of Heraklion's town center—Eleftheriou Venizelou Square, a triangular pedestrian zone filled with cafés and named after the Cretan statesman who united the island with Greece in 1913. The square is also known simply as Ta Leontaria and was the center of the colony founded in the 13th century, when Venice colonized Crete, and Heraklion became an important port of call
on the trade routes to the Middle East. The city, and often the whole island (known then as Candia), was ruled by the Duke of Crete, a Venetian administrator.
Dedalou and 25 Augousto, Heraklion, Crete, 71202, Greece