- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Archaeological Museum Review
Two of the city's museums are at the edge of the old city, amid a busy shopping district in the shadow of the Venetian walls. Artifacts on display at the Archaeological Museum come from all over western Crete, and bear witness to the presence of Minoans, ancient Greeks, Romans, Venetians, and Ottomans. The painted Minoan clay coffins and elegant late Minoan pottery indicate that the region was as wealthy as the center of the island in the Bronze Age, though no palace has yet been located. The museum occupies the former Venetian church of St. Francis and surrounds a lovely garden.
- Address: Chalidron, Hania, Crete 73100
- Phone: 28210/90334
- Cost: €2; combined admission with Byzantine and Post-Byzantine Collection €3
- Hours: Mon. 12:30–7, Tues.–Sat. 8–7, Sun. 8–2:30
- Location: Hania
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
My film "I Follow Apollo” presents the highlights of Greece, including Athens, Olympia, Meteora, Sparta, the Byzantine Empire, and a cruise to the islands of Mykonos, Santorini, Crete, & Rhodes, Read more
Greek Islands in November on Constelation, weather great, should have been memorable for good things.
After sailing on Infiniti last year and really enjoying it we booked this cruise, would have though Read more
· News & Features
Ask around and most people will tell you to spend as short a layover as possible in Athens before booking ... Read more
With the Aegean Sea as its backdrop, Greece serves a heavy hand of magical Mediterranean living.... Read more
A week in the Greek isles?... Read more