A sprawling Minoan town currently being excavated by archaeologists, Palaikastro is missing any Knossos-type drama here (for instance, there is no large palace structure), but you get a strong sense of everyday life here amid the stony ruins of streets, squares, and shops.
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's