- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Getting Here and Around
Until recently ferries connected Rethymnon with Pireaus. Service has been canceled and is much lamented, and there is talk of restoring the run. In the meantime, the best option is to use the ferry terminal or airport at Hania, about 45 minutes and €55 away by taxi. Rethymon is also served by hourly bus service from Hania and Heraklion, each about an hour away, and the fare to either is about €8 each way. Rethymon's bus terminal is on the west side of town, on the sea near the Venetian fortress, at Atki Kefaloyianithon. Rethymon is on Crete's national highway, which runs along the north coast, and there is public parking on the seaside road around the Venetian fortress, next to the old harbor, and elsewhere around town.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe