- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Top Reasons to Go to Crete
Minoan Magnificence: At the Palace of Knossos, get up-close to the mysteries—and the throne room's dazzling murals—of the 3,500-year-old civilization of the Minoans.
Getting Your Sea Major: From palm-backed Vai to remote Elafonisi, some of the finest beaches in Greece are lapped by Crete's turquoise waters.
Crete's Venice: Although it has its bright city lights, Rethymnon is most noted for its time-burnished Venetian quarter, threaded with narrow lanes leading to palazzos, fountains, and shady squares.
Walk on the Wild Side: With its snowcapped peaks and deep gorges, craggy Crete offers lots of escapes for those who want to get away from it all.
Suite Temptation: New palatial resorts let you live like royalty in a Venetian palace or—at luxurious outposts like the Elounda Mare and Elounda beach—sun-worship the day away in your own private pool.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe