- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
The suburb of Kanoni was once one of the world's great beauty spots, made famous by countless pictures. Today the landscape has been engulfed by development and a Starbucks has laid claim to the best spot to take in the legendary and still-lovely view, which looks out over two beautiful islets. If you truly want to commune with nature, visit the lush and lovely seaside gardens surrounding the country palace of Mon Repos.
Kanoni's famed vistas encompass the open sea separated by a long, narrow causeway lining the lagoon of Halikiopoulou, with the intensely green slopes of Mt. Agia Deka as a backdrop. A shorter breakwater leads to the white convent of Moni Vlahernes on a tiny islet. Beyond, tall cypresses guard Pontikonisi, or Mouse island, a rock rising dramatically from the clear water and topped by a 13th-century chapel—one of the most picturesque set pieces in all Greece. Legend has it that the island is really Odysseus's ship, which an enraged Poseidon turned to stone: the reason why Homer's much-traveled hero was shipwrecked on Phaeacia (Corfu) in The Odyssey. June to August a little motorboat runs out to Pontikonisi every 20 minutes. Keep in mind, though, that while the view of the islets has sold a thousand postcards, the view from the islets (looking back at Corfu) is that of a hilly landscape built up with resort hotels and summer homes and of the adjacent airport, where planes take off directly over the churches.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe