- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Points in Attica can be reached from the main Thessaloniki–Athens and Athens–Patras highways, with the National Road (Ethnikos Odos) the most popular route, now connecting to the new Attica Highway (Attiki Odos; toll, €2.70).
From the Peloponnese, drive east via Corinth to Athens, or from Patras, cross the Rio-Antirrio bridge to visit Delphi.
Most roads off the new highway are two-lane secondary arteries and several, notably from Athens to Delphi and Itea, and Athens to Sounion, are spectacularly scenic.
On Aegina, there is a good network of mostly narrow rural roads (two lanes at best).
Drivers should be prepared for occasional abrupt turns; major towns and sites are well marked. Karagiannis Klimis Travel, on Aegina, rents both cars and motorcycles.
Cars are not allowed on Hydra and Spetses.
Local and international car rental agencies have offices in downtown Athens—most are on Syngrou avenue—as well as at the arrival level at Eleftherios Venizelos–Athens International Airport, in Spata.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe