When to Go?
- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
When to Go?
June and September offer the benefits of summer without the July and August crowds.
Athens's nightlife shifts to the southern coast July through August.
Après-ski town Arachova is the place to be in winter (if expensive), but it's only a stepping stone to Delphi in summer.
The Saronic islands and Attica's northeastern coast are beautiful anytime, though in the winter, things can feel dead.
Be it the islands or Delphi, be prepared to go head-to-head with the crowds and the heat in summer.
The beaches, of course, are most enjoyable in full summer, but even chic and pricey Astir beach gets engulfed by a rising tide of tourists.
A much better time to visit is April to June, when wildflowers carpet the arid hillsides of Attica and the Marathon plain.
September and October are another beautiful stretch.
For nice year-round retreats, head to inland sites, from Eleusis to Marathon.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe