- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Attica, the southeastern tip of central Greece, is much more than the home of Athens—it is also a fertile land, with fabled temples, idyllic islands, and beautiful Byzantine monasteries. Bordered by three mountain masses—Mt. Hymettos to the east, Mt. Aigaleo and Mt. Parnitha to the west, and Mt. Pendeli to the north—Attica mainly lies east and north of the Athens basin. A tram line from Glyfada to downtown Athens, opened in 2004, allows travelers to easily enjoy the famed Apollo Coast, with its Temple of Sounion and luxurious resorts. The Saronic Gulf islands are now virtually a part of the capital, with Aegina 40 minutes away by hydrofoil. Cradled in the mountains, the Delphi region is set around Mt. Parnassus and Arachova.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $1649 & up -- Greek Islands 8-Night Escape w/Air & Ferry go-today
- $529 & up -- Summer: Italy-Greece-Turkey 7-Night Cruise Royal Caribbean
- $1799 & up -- 'World's Best': Luxe European Cruises, 70% Off — $1,799 Windstar Cruises