- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Castello Bar and Restaurant
Castello Bar and Restaurant Review
Set right on Kamini beach, this fully renovated 18th-century fortress is now a popular bar-restaurant. Its multilevel café serves breakfast, coffee, drinks, and snacks and is the ideal spot for enjoying Hydra sunsets. Just a leisurely 15-minute-walk from the port (or 5 minutes by mule or 1 minute by water taxi), the reward is some of the most fortifying dining on the island. Chef Nikos Baxevanis's casual but tasty menu includes tagliatelle with vegetable and chevre cheese, cod frites (a more refined version of English fish-and-chips), and stuffed burgers. You can come in early and have breakfast or you can try the best apple martini on the island later. Hiring a sunbed for the day right in front of Castello will set you back €5.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
We've been home for a while now but I thought I would post a belated trip report, partly to thank all those people whose advice I took, either directly or by reading their trip reports.
We are in our seventies, Read more
A month in Chios, Lesvos and Samos (coming in from Turkey this time) in October 2013
September October 2013 – travels in the eastern Aegean…
Back to Greece again – it’s becoming Read more
I'm down to these 2 locations for my visit to Santorini. Read more
· News & Features
Ask around and most people will tell you to spend as short a layover as possible in Athens before booking... Read more
With the Aegean Sea as its backdrop, Greece serves a heavy hand of magical Mediterranean living.... Read more
A week in the Greek isles?... Read more