- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
It is well worth climbing the 263 steps leading from the main road up to the church of Ayios Georgios. Behind the churchyard, the lovely smells from this hilltop restaurant's kitchen will prepare you for a tasty meal. The restaurant dates back to the 1930s and has served many a Greek politician and poet. Start with local specialty opsimotyri (tart yogurt dip) and the house salad of shredded red cabbage, carrot, and grilled mushrooms. Then, dig into a plump bifteki (ground meat) flavored with parsley, or dolmades (stuffed vine leaves) with a creamy lemon sauce. The lamb stewed on vine leaves is also a favorite with regular clients. Reservations are essential during winter weekends.
- Address: Ayios Giorgios, Ano Arachova, Arachova, 32004
- Phone: 22670/32735
- Location: Arachova
- Reservations essential.
- Credit cards accepted.
- Closed Mon.–Wed. in June–Aug.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
A month in Chios, Lesvos and Samos (coming in from Turkey this time) in October 2013
September October 2013 – travels in the eastern Aegean…
Back to Greece again – it’s becoming Read more
For anyone planning/ considering a Greek island cruise, especially if they're not “cruisers”, I’m posting this report. Read more
Hi I am planning a 45 day holiday. Read more
· News & Features
Ask around and most people will tell you to spend as short a layover as possible in Athens before booking... Read more
With the Aegean Sea as its backdrop, Greece serves a heavy hand of magical Mediterranean living.... Read more
A week in the Greek isles?... Read more