- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Lake Marathon Review
Lake Marathon, the huge man-made reservoir formed by the Marathon Dam (built by an American company in 1925–31), used to enjoy unparalleled physical beauty as the sight of the water contrasted with the startling green of the surrounding pine tree forest. Unfortunately, the fires of 2009 eroded some of this beauty but the lake is still worth a visit if only to see the only dam in the world said to be faced with real marble. At the downstream side is a marble replica of the Athenian Treasury of Delphi. This is a main source of water for Athens, supplemented with water from Parnitha and Boeotia.
Fragma. You may be astonished by the sight of all that landlocked water and want to contemplate it over a drink or snack (pasta dishes are the chef's specialty) at the café-restaurant Fragma on the east side. Wonderful views glimpsed from the tall front windows help make this a perfect and refreshing stop on your way back to Athens from Sxinias beach. 210/814–3615. www.fragma.gr.
- Address: 8 km (5 mi) west of Marathon, down side road from village of Ayios Stefanos, Marathon, 19007
- Location: Marathon
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
My film "I Follow Apollo” presents the highlights of Greece, including Athens, Olympia, Meteora, Sparta, the Byzantine Empire, and a cruise to the islands of Mykonos, Santorini, Crete, & Rhodes, Read more
Greek Islands in November on Constelation, weather great, should have been memorable for good things.
After sailing on Infiniti last year and really enjoying it we booked this cruise, would have though Read more
Greetings, Everyone! Read more
· News & Features
Ask around and most people will tell you to spend as short a layover as possible in Athens before booking ... Read more
With the Aegean Sea as its backdrop, Greece serves a heavy hand of magical Mediterranean living.... Read more
A week in the Greek isles?... Read more