- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Mt. Parnassus. Arachova and its environs are made for exploring on foot, either by simply walking a country lane to see where it leads or picking up one of the hiking trails like the E4 through Parnassus National Park or the ancient footpath down the mountain. The 8,061-foot summit of Mt. Parnassus is now easily accessible, thanks to roads opened up for the ski areas. The less hardy can drive almost up to the summit. The local Arachova Hiking and Skiing Club organizes regular group hiking outings; give them a call (22670/311118) to join the next one. 28 km north of Arachova, Arachova, 32004.
Sarandari Refuge. You can motor up to the small Sarandari Refuge, run by the ski shop company Klaoudatos, 6,201 feet up on the slopes of Mt. Parnassus. It accommodates up to 35 people, and you can spend the night, enjoy the breathtaking views (and homemade meals), and then walk to the summit in time to catch the sunrise—the best time to be on this legendary mountain. The refuge is just 200 feet away from the Gerontovraxos ski center. 69740/31160. www.klaoudatos-ski.gr.
More Sports and Outdoors
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe