- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Arachova's gray-stone houses with red-tile roofs cling to the steep slopes of Mt. Parnassus, the highest mountain in Greece after Mt. Olympus. The 1980s brought a boom to this once-quiet region, which in winter is transformed into a busy ski resort. Weekends attract sophisticated Athenians heading for the slopes: hotel prices soar and rooms are snapped up; cobblestone streets fill with SUVs carrying skis aloft; and village taverns get crowded after dark as people warm their weary bones before the fires. Unlike other Greek destinations, in summer there are hardly any Greek tourists in Arachova and not everything may be open.
Arachova at a Glance
Elsewhere in Attica, the Saronic Gulf Islands, and Delphi
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's