- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
The Athens taxi meter starts at €1, and, even if you join other passengers, you must add this amount to your final charge. The minimum fare is €2.80. The basic charge is €0.48 per kilometer (½ mi); this increases to €0.84 between midnight and 5 am or if you go outside city limits.
There are surcharges for holidays (€1), trips to and from the airport (€3.40), and rides to (but not from) the port, train stations, and bus terminals (€0.95). There is also a €0.35 charge for each suitcase over 22 pounds, but drivers expect €0.35 for each bag anyway. Waiting time is €9.60 per hour. Radio taxis charge an additional €3 to €5 for the pickup.
Athens 1 Intertaxi (210/921–2800. www.athens1.gr.)
Ermis taxi service (210/411-5200 or 801116300.)
Radio Taxi Hellas (210/645–7000 or. www.radiotaxihellas.gr.)
Parthenon Radio Taxi (210/532-3300.)
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe