One of Athens's most popular meeting places, the square has recently been renovated and much of it now glitters thanks to a pavement of golden mosaic pieces. Look for the special glassed-in view revealing the ancient Iridanos river-bed. The square takes its name from the small Panayia Pantanassa Church, commonly called Monastiraki ("Little Monastery"). It once flourished as an extensive convent, perhaps dating to the 10th century, which stretched from Athinas to Aiolou.
The nuns took in poor people, who earned their keep weaving the thick textiles known as abas. The buildings were destroyed during excavations and the train (and later metro) line construction that started in 1896. The convent's basic basilica form, now recessed a few steps below street level, was altered through a poor restoration in 1911, when the bell tower was added.
South of Ermou and Athinas junction, Athens, 10555, Greece