- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Fodor's Greek Islands
Run by the same family for more than a century, this is an almost legendary souvlaki eatery in Monastiraki Square. After admiring the painted wine barrels, the black-and-white stills of Greek film stars, and the snapshots of politicians who have held lunches here, go to the window case to view the day's magirefta (stove-top cooked dish, usually made earlier)—maybe beef kokkinisto (stew with red sauce) and soutzoukakia (oblong meatballs simmered in tomato sauce) spiked with cloves. Or sit down and order the famed gyro or the kebab platter. Bairaktaris is always packed, so don't be in a rush to be served.
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
My film "I Follow Apollo” presents the highlights of Greece, including Athens, Olympia, Meteora, Sparta, the Byzantine Empire, and a cruise to the islands of Mykonos, Santorini, Crete, & Rhodes, Read more
Greek Islands in November on Constelation, weather great, should have been memorable for good things.
After sailing on Infiniti last year and really enjoying it we booked this cruise, would have though Read more
· News & Features
Ask around and most people will tell you to spend as short a layover as possible in Athens before booking ... Read more
With the Aegean Sea as its backdrop, Greece serves a heavy hand of magical Mediterranean living.... Read more
A week in the Greek isles?... Read more