- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Fodor's Greek Islands
To Steki tou Ilia
To Steki tou Ilia Review
Athenians who love fresh-grilled lamb chops and thick-cut fried potatoes that could have come from yiayia's (grandma's) very kitchen flock to this classic taverna (the original old-fashioned hangout with gated garden at Eptahalkou and a more recent and more modern-looking extension a bit farther down Thessalonikis street) along a quiet pedestrianized street in Thission. It's a place to relax with friends: split a giant plate of paidakia (lamb chops), fries, creamy tzatziki, and fava bean spread. Even the bread is prepared the Greek way: grilled and sprinkled with olive oil and oregano. The tables on the street fill rapidly so arrive early to soak in the Greek island vibe. Reservations accepted.
- Address: Eptachalkou 5 and Thessalonikis 7, Thission, Athens, 10033 | Map It
- Phone: 210/342–2407 Thessalonikis 7; 210/345–8052 Eptaxalkou 5
- Location: Monastiraki and Thission
- No credit cards.
- Thessalonikis 7 closed Mon.; no lunch Tues.–Fri. Eptaxalkou 5 closed Sun. evening; no lunch Tues.–Fri.
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
I want to thank those who tried to help me with my search for a Greek island and let you know it wasn’t a waste of time. Read more
My film "I Follow Apollo” presents the highlights of Greece, including Athens, Olympia, Meteora, Sparta, the Byzantine Empire, and a cruise to the islands of Mykonos, Santorini, Crete, & Rhodes, Read more
I will be arriving in Athens at 5:30pm, and I am staying in Piraeus because I will be taking an early ferry to Mykonos the next morning. Read more
· News & Features
Ask around and most people will tell you to spend as short a layover as possible in Athens before booking ... Read more
With the Aegean Sea as its backdrop, Greece serves a heavy hand of magical Mediterranean living.... Read more
A week in the Greek isles?... Read more