- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Fodor's Greek Islands
To Steki tou Ilia
To Steki tou Ilia Review
Athenians who love fresh-grilled lamb chops and thick-cut fried potatoes that could have come from yiayia's (grandma's) very kitchen flock to this classic taverna (the original old-fashioned hangout with gated garden at Eptahalkou and a more recent and more modern-looking extension a bit farther down Thessalonikis street) along a quiet pedestrianized street in Thission. It's a place to relax with friends: split a giant plate of paidakia (lamb chops), fries, creamy tzatziki, and fava bean spread. Even the bread is prepared the Greek way: grilled and sprinkled with olive oil and oregano. The tables on the street fill rapidly so arrive early to soak in the Greek island vibe. Reservations accepted.
- Address: Eptachalkou 5 and Thessalonikis 7, Thission, Athens, 10033 | Map It
- Phone: 210/342–2407 Thessalonikis 7; 210/345–8052 Eptaxalkou 5
- Location: Monastiraki and Thission
- No credit cards.
- Thessalonikis 7 closed Mon.; no lunch Tues.–Fri. Eptaxalkou 5 closed Sun. evening; no lunch Tues.–Fri.
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
My film "I Follow Apollo” presents the highlights of Greece, including Athens, Olympia, Meteora, Sparta, the Byzantine Empire, and a cruise to the islands of Mykonos, Santorini, Crete, & Rhodes, Read more
Greek Islands in November on Constelation, weather great, should have been memorable for good things.
After sailing on Infiniti last year and really enjoying it we booked this cruise, would have though Read more
· News & Features
Ask around and most people will tell you to spend as short a layover as possible in Athens before booking ... Read more
With the Aegean Sea as its backdrop, Greece serves a heavy hand of magical Mediterranean living.... Read more
A week in the Greek isles?... Read more