- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
At a Glance
- all-out luxury
- beautiful rooms
- excellent café, spa and pool lounge
- central location
- pricey, no free Wi-Fi
Fodor's FindsLowest Price Guarantee
Grande Bretagne Review
With a guest list that includes more than a century's worth of royals, rock stars, and heads of state, the landmark Grande Bretagne remains the most exclusive hotel in Athens but as you marvel at one of the most eye-knocking views of the Acropolis from the terrace restaurant, or rest on custom-made silk ottomans in the lobby, or call your personal butler 24 hours a day from your room, you may very well think it is the very best. Built in 1842, the hotel had a recent all-out-luxury renovation that recaptured the original grandeur, restoring 19th-century oil paintings, antiques, and hand-carved details as they were a century earlier. There's also a lovely spa where you can pamper yourself with indulgences such as ouzo-oil massages. As for amenities, there are none better in Athens—just a few include laptop and mobile phone rentals, a technology help desk, and free daily newspapers.
- Address: Vasileos Georgiou A'1 at Syntagma Sq., Syntagma Sq., Athens, 10564 | Map It
- Phone: 210/333-0000; 210/331-5555 through 210/331-5559 reservations
- Website: www.grandebretagne.gr
- Location: Syntagma Square and Kolonaki
- 321 rooms, 56 suites.
- Credit cards accepted.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $1649 & up -- Greek Islands 8-Night Escape w/Air & Ferry go-today
- $529 & up -- Summer: Italy-Greece-Turkey 7-Night Cruise Royal Caribbean
- $1799 & up -- 'World's Best': Luxe European Cruises, 70% Off — $1,799 Windstar Cruises
My husband, one daughter, and I arrived in Athens for a long weekend in the middle of the night. Read more
We had a fantastic trip to Cyprus, Rome and Athens, thanks in large part to the wonderful advice I received from Fodorites. Read more
Between Athens and Santorini we have 7 nights open for Paros, Naxos and Antiparos.
Please advise weather I can make :
1. daytrips to Paros and Antiparos from Naxos or
2.Noussa Paros as base and daytripped Read more
· News & Features
Author and Greek culinary guru Henriette Lazaridis Power peels back the curtain on some of the best Greek... Read more
Honeymoons are the chance to take the adventure of a lifetime.... Read more
These hotels have a problem with commitment.... Read more